Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Glamorous Manicure

My hands are in bad shape.  That's what happens when you wash your hands 26.2 million times. Per hour.  Just kidding.  But I do wash my hands a lot.  On top of that, I apply alcohol sanitizers to my hands mulitple times per day.  And I swab vaccine vials with alcohol.  And I swab children's thighs and arms with alcohol.  And I sanitize various surfaces at work with alcohol. That adds up to cracked cuticles.  It doesn't matter if I apply lotion to my hands every time I wash them.  It doesn't matter if I lather up my hands with Eucerin every night.  It doesn't matter if I apply super glue to the cracks in my skin, either.  This particular cuticle has been in some sad state of disrepair since early November.  Yup, almost 3 months.  See that big, nasty crack?  It's been there since Thanksgiving.  We're becoming friends.  Aren't you jealous?


3 comments:

t. said...

ouch! that looks not so fun. i remember when i volunteered in the ER every weekend, i had to use that hand sanitizer stuff every five minutes. my hands were so chapped, despite lotion, that the skin cracked open and was super nasty. so i can't imagine putting my hands through that every single day!

Anonymous said...

Oh, that makes me hurt to see it. My hands tend to chap, especially in the winter. I don't have to do the work you do.
G.M.

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure if this will help with all your hands have to endure, but antibiotic ointment does wonders for the cracks in my cuticles. Can't hurt to try.
Mom