Wednesday, October 15, 2008

My Kid is Amazing

My eldest child is what I call a high needs child. He was a high needs baby and I predict he'll be a high needs teenager and adult. It requires much patience and creativity to deal with him. As a baby, he needed just the right amount of affection. Too much and he pushed back and voiced his opinion mightily. Too little and he got clingy and whiny.

Solomon has always been imaginative; almost too much so. He can watch a television show or play a video game for just half an hour, but hours later he'll still be going over things that could have happened or should have happened. He is funny and he makes me laugh about something every day. Sometimes he makes me laugh at the worst time, say when I'm upset with him and need to re-direct him.

Solomon's exuberance means that I spend a lot of time reminding him to "use an inside voice, please." I have to be very explicit in my directions and requests. I have to say exactly what I mean because he is very literal. Solomon keeps me on my toes; if I'm not consistent, he'll either call me on it, or walk right over me. He is, at times, exhausting.

I was anxious about the school year starting. Homework has been a large source of contention in our house since first grade. Behavior in class has been a problem to some extent, too. But Solomon transitioned into the school routine very smoothly. He did his homework with a minimum of complaining and actually said, more than once, that he likes some of his homework. He invested himself in school activities like running club and choir and made lots of new friends.

I tried not to get my hopes too high. I thought maybe we were in the honeymoon phase of a new school year. But the days and weeks stretched on and I noticed that Solomon is really helpful at home now. I can ask him to clean the bathroom sink or vacuum the living room and he does it without any problem. He helps his brother and sister with things they can't reach. In short, he's growing up.

This week Solomon's teacher let me know that he would be getting a High Flyer Award for this trimester of the school year. This is an award given to two students in each class, each trimester. These awards go to students who consistently demonstrate responsibility, helpfulness, respect and hard work. I am so happy about this I tear up when I think about it.

At the award ceremony this afternoon I was thrilled to see my child standing on the stage with his ear-to-ear grin. It's a small thing, but that moment made all the anxiety and frustration of the past couple of years worth it.

3 comments:

K Hall said...

That's wonderful! I can just "see" that ear-to-ear grin. :) And I know about the tearing-up part too.

Brian Gardes said...

It doesn't sound like a small thing. Sounds like a great achievement. He'll remember that for a long time!

Anonymous said...

that is awesome, jess!