Friday, October 24, 2008

I Was Insulted

Earlier this week a patient's mother stressed to me repeatedly that I must document all phone conversations in her child's chart so there would be no discrepancy when it came time for the insurance company to pay her claim. She said it over and over and over again.

This is insulting to me for several reasons. 1) I am a nurse and documentation is key. 2) I am a good nurse and my documentation is excellent, whether I'm charting patient care or a conversation in person or on the phone. 3) It is our office's policy to document everything to insure consistent patient care. 4) It's just common freaking sense.

I tried to say this politely to this woman, but she didn't seem to get it. Whatever. I sighed and let it go because that was Wednesday. But it happened again today. I spent 15 minutes on the phone with this woman while she repeated that her insurance company is a stickler for correct diagnosis and treatment and documentation. I gritted my teeth and said, "Ma'am, documentation in any medical chart is an absolute must and I assure you that I am writing everything down." She still didn't seem to appreciate my situation.

And to add further to the insult, she actually asked me to falsify documentation. She wanted me to write down that she had tried to come into the office many times this summer for her child's condition but was unable to because there was a family crisis. Seriously? I have no idea if that's why she hasn't been in until now. I don't necessarily doubt her, but I can't write that down. Then she asked me to document that her child's diagnosis is the exact reason he has experienced these particular symptoms for the past 5 months. Again, not my call.

When it became clear that nothing I said would satisfy her, I told her that she could talk to the doctor. I'm still irritated.

No comments: