Sunday, October 26, 2008

The Coolest Thing I've Ever Done



Jennifer and I trekked to Civic Center Park in downtown Denver today for an Obama rally. We figured it would be tough to get in and knew there was little chance we'd get a clear look at Barack Obama. But this is one of those things that I would hate to look back on and regret not doing. So we went.

I have a hard time putting my feelings about this into words. I've never been so invested in anything this big. I feel like our country is at a fork in the road. We can go one way and continue into a downward spiral or we can go another way and begin to dig ourselves back out. And just to clarify, lest you think I am blind behind my rose-colored glasses, I don't think that electing Barack Obama is going to single-handedly revolutionize our country and fix all of our problems. I do think it's a big step in the right direction, though.

I am concerned about the way we are perceived by other nations. Sadly, the Ugly American stereotype is more accurate than ever before. I am worried about the prices of gasoline and groceries, mortgages, education and health care. The average American is stretched so thin, we might begin to split down the middle. I know I feel like that.

I am saddened by the blatant racism I have seen during the last few weeks. You've read my feelings about that before and they have only deepened since then. I am terrified that if Obama isn't elected, those digusting excuses for human beings will feel justified in continuing to spew their hatred on all of us. I want them silenced, or at least brought down a few notches.

It was amazing to have all those feelings solidified this morning. Being in the midst of that crowd of 100,000+ individuals was one of the best moments of my life. The energy and excitement was overwhelming. As schmaltzy as it might sound, it really did give me hope for the future. Going to that rally was, quite simply, the coolest thing I have ever done.

1 comment:

Brian Gardes said...

Wow! So jealous!!!