Sunday, October 12, 2008

A Disclaimer

As you can see, I've been a busy little blogger this weekend, mostly political stuff. It's an understatement to say that I am quite vociferous in my opinion of who should be the next President of the United States.

I want to make one thing clear, though. I respect and value the right to vote as an individual sees fit. Americans are so fortunate to have this right and I don't want anyone to think I am telling them how to vote. Your vote is yours.

Voting comes with a responsibility and that responsibility is to educate oneself on the issues. Know your candidate and his stance on those issues. If someone has researched the issues and doesn't agree with me, I can respectfully agree to disagree. If one has not done that, well, I'm disappointed.

If you don't know your candidate's stance on the issues, please look it up. And I mean that for anyone, regardless of your choice in candidates.

(Obviously, if you're blindly voting for Obama, I'll be happy that you're voting for him. But once you know more about him, where he comes from and his vision for the future, you can't help but become passionate about your vote.)

And with that, I'm done with political blogging, for a few days anyway.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I read the other day that the average annual salary of an American worker is $32,000. This would indicate that half of American workers make less than $32,000.

On Obama’s website, four examples are given as to what Americans can expect regarding tax cuts under his plan. These examples are: Married couple making $75,000, Married couple making $90,000, Single Parent making $40,000 and a 70 year old Widow making $35,000.

None of these examples addresses, in the least, the tax situation of well over half of America (the poorer half), based upon the assumption of $32,000 being the average annual wage. I just wonder if Obama supporters are aware of this?

His definition of “middle class” seems to include people who make all the way up to $250,000 per year! At least that is the tax relief breaking point he stipulates in his plan, and has re-iterated in debates.

I think many Obama supporters believe he is the “working man’s/woman’s” candidate, when he may not be.

Dad

Ms. Jess said...

I used the tax cut calculator on Obama's website to figure tax cuts for a married couple making $30,000 and no dependents - $1000 less. A couple making $30,000 with 2 dependents and child care expenses can expect $1803 less in taxes. A single person making $20,000 per year with no dependents can still expect $500 less.

I'm not sure that a defining line of $250K as middle class means a lot. For one thing, $250K in a city like Denver is quite different than in a city like Midland. It's pretty subjective. Also, if the vast majority of Americans are getting a tax cut, does it matter where the tax relief breaking point is?