Saturday, October 11, 2008

Untitled

I started this post Friday morning with a sinking, sickening feeling in my stomach. I was coming here to lament the atrocious comments made about Barack Obama by some John McCain supporters in recent days; comments that are bigoted, racist and, simply put, untrue. Further, they were comments that have been largely ignored by the McCain camp. I was so disheartened that I couldn't gather my thoughts and I saved the post so I could come back and edit it later. I am continuing my post now with a better frame of mind.






For what it's worth, I don't believe for a minute that all of McCain's supporters espouse the beliefs of these few. I wouldn't even purport to believe that John McCain himself believes these things. But his refusal to address these comments is paramount to agreement with them. John McCain has now made a couple of statements to the effect that he does not condone this type of bashing. Whatever his motive, I am pleased that at least something has been said. I fear this is a case of 'too little, too late,' though.




I hope that more of the media pick up on the nastiness coming from people like those in the first two videos. Some have and they have reported on it. I hope they continue to do so. Refusal to condemn actions and words like these is reprehensible.

This country should be better than this. I hate that in the 21st century people can still let race, religion and something as insignificant as a middle name color their perceptions of another human being. It's sickening and I am so sad to be living in the middle of it.

Things like this make me feel more 'glass half-empty' than 'glass half-full'. I don't like feeling that way. My response to this negativity is to volunteer for the Barack Obama campaign. During the two weeks leading up to the presidential election I will be working the phone bank at a local campaign office when I get off work. To those bigoted, uneducated nasties -- congratulations! You've just campaigned for the man you hate.

3 comments:

Caleb said...

You're not allowed to tell anyone, but I think I'm changing my vote.

Ms. Jess said...

Well, since it's a secret, I won't say what my reaction to this is. But you know whether I'm smiling or frowning.

Veronica V Photography said...

I pretty much want to comment on all of your blog posts, but I don't have time! It was these videos that pushed me out the door to sign up for canvassing as well as to go to the Rally a week or so ago. It's no secret hat I've been a huge Obama supporter from the beginning but seeing this ignorance and hatefulness just makes me even more passionate. My husband is convinced it's the same on both sides, the hatefulness,racism, bigots - but I haven't seen it.

Yesterday I drove by a house with a huge sign that said "we dont' need no hussein obama". My husband is an incredibly smart guy but he couldn't understand my raw anger over this sign. Sure, he got what they were trying to imply, but again...he thinks it's on both sides. I haven't seen anyone say that McCain is playing with terrorists or that he IS one. I want to do everything I can before election day but dealing with the ignorance (and just plain damn stupidity) is getting to me!