Monday, August 2, 2010

I Ran a 5K

I ran my first race!  Woo-hoo!  It was for a good cause -- a local organization that provides perinatal hospice to families who have received a devastating diagnosis for their unborn child. Our office was a sponsor of the event last year and this year.  I didn't run last year because I wasn't ready but this year -- this year it was time.

I've been following the C25K program and I wasn't to the end of it yet but I made myself run the full 5 kilometers last Wednesday just to see if I could do it.  And I did it.  It was slow, but I did it.  It took me just over 40 minutes.  On Saturday I did it in 37 minutes, 44 seconds.

I clearly have some things to learn about pacing myself.  On Wednesday I ran 5K without stopping.  On Saturday I had to walk a lot and I got very discouraged.  My problem, clearly, was that I was running too fast when I was running and then having to walk to make up for it.  Next time will be better.

So, first race done!  Go, me!

1 comment:

t. said...

yay, jess! that is awesome!