Sunday, August 22, 2010

Pictorial Study of an Early Morning Run

While in Arkansas I had the privilege of going out and running through a portion of my childhood hometown.  I was really psyched about this because of the lower elevation and how much easier it would be to breathe.  You see, up here at almost 6000 feet above sea level there's less oxygen and my body has pumped up its red blood cell count so as to maximize the oxygen available.  I'm practically super human, right?  Running at 400 feet elevation would be like a walk in the park.

Wrong.  The air is freakishly thick and heavy and full of water and bugs and you have to chew it before you breathe it.  It weighs on you like a wet blanket.  It is not conducive to easy running.  But I ran anyway.  I ran because I like it and because I had the unique opportunity to run with my brothers and because it's good for me.  Yadayadayada.  And because we rewarded ourselves with Starbucks afterward.

One morning we went across the Arkansas river and back.  Really far, huh?  Told you I was super human.  Just kidding.  My parents live about 3 blocks from the river.  Anyway, the point is I took some pretty cool pictures with my nifty iPhone.  I want to share them with you.


 

Sunrise over the Arkansas River.


Praying mantis over the Arkansas River. I have a thing for praying mantids.


Oklahoma rain forest.


Road kill.  Sorry 'bout that.  Forget I posted it. Think about this instead:


1 comment:

t. said...

i have a thing for mantids, too! they are so cool.

good for you for running despite the thickness of the air!