Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Pandering to the Lowest Common Denominator

I need to preface this with a disclaimer. I love to read and I wish everyone loved to read.  I know that not all people do, for a lot of reasons.  That's okay.  I believe that if a particular series of books can get someone who doesn't usually like to read to enjoy reading, I'm all for it.  A lot of these kinds of books cannot be called fine literature and that's okay.  In an ideal world, we'd all love writers like Dickens and Steinbeck.  We do not live in an ideal world and that's okay, too.  However, there are simply books that are not, nor never will be, fine literature. Twilight is one of those.  Yup, I said it.

I also need to say that I have not read Twilight (or any of the following books) and now I never will.  I used to want to read them because everyone raved about them.  Several people admitted that the writing is not good but that the story is good and it's entertaining.  So I figured I'd get around to reading them at some point when I needed a break from something like A Brave New World or The End of Faith.

Then I saw Twilight and New Moon. I will admit that a huge part of my turn-off after watching these movies was the acting. The acting was painful, reallyreallyreally painful.  However, an even bigger part of my turn-off is the idea that Bella cannot live without Edward.  Her obsession with him is unhealthy, not to mention dangerous. When Edward went away and Bella's whole being shriveled up into nothingness I was horrified.  No one should be that wrapped up in another person after just a few months of a relationship, especially at that age.  It sets up a horrible example for teenagers to emulate.  Even worse is Bella's preoccupation with putting herself in danger just so she can 'feel' Edward around her.  I don't know any respectable parent who would be okay with their daughter behaving this way, no matter how much she likes a boy.

It kills me that an entire generation of kids is growing up with Bella and Edward as their heroes, their example of what is good and honorable and part of a healthy, loving relationship.  It makes me want to puke. All the progress that's been made in the last few generations could be undone here.  Women can't be equal to men when they start life as girls who want to be like Bella.  I'll be damned if my daughter turns out this way.

I have become especially sensitive to these themes in the last few years after realizing how much of my own life has been wrapped up in unhealthy relationships.  I admit that I am probably more observant of the problems in Twilight because of this but that doesn't mean that I am hypersensitive or that I am wrong; it just means that others don't notice as much as I do.  It's still unhealthy and not something I'll ever teach my children is acceptable.

Take into consideration all that I just said and you'll understand my shock at seeing this while doing back-to-school shopping.


Are you kidding me?  Sucking kids in by modeling major study guides after the biggest teen obsession this decade?  I know you've got to appeal to kids somehow, but this?  This is low. This is lower than low.








Ominous blood?  Give me a break.








And, of course, the disclaimer for the book.  Never mind their intent; the lawyers make them put this there so no one gets sued.



Stephanie Meyer and Brian Leaf and their ilk are on My List.

1 comment:

Tommy Hall said...

You do have a talent for expressing your feelings clearly. I always enjoy reading your posts. I was so into the educated style of writing that when I read "It makes me want to puke", I actually laughed .. loudly. And thought, there , there was the best line of the blog. But i was wrong; three sentences later was the best line ..."I'll be damned if my daughter turns out this way.". Love you!