Monday, July 19, 2010

I'm in Arkansas

I'm in Arkansas with family.  It's nice, except for the humidity and the mosquitoes.  And in truth, that is a small price to pay for hanging out here in my parents' house with my brothers and sisters that I rarely get to see.

I have a pretty great family.  For the majority of my life so far, I've taken them for granted.  In the last few years, I've realized how good I have had it all my life.  The more people I meet who say things like, "You have my sympathy" or "Ugh, good luck" when I say I'm going to spend a week with my family, the more I realize that most people do not enjoy their families the way I enjoy mine.  It makes me sad for them and even happier for myself.

I picked up the kids from the ex-husband on Friday morning and we hit the road.  Seven-hundred-ten miles on I-40 is too many miles on I-40, or any road for that matter.  Ugh and double-ugh.  We did break up the monotony by stopping at Cadillac Ranch and painting a few cars.  I have photos of that but I will have to post them another time.  We were also chewed up and spit out by hordes of mosquitoes.  Poor Samuel got the worst of it and has been hopped up and/or strung out on Benadryl and Motrin ever since.

We spent Saturday with my Granny and her beau.  He's nice and he really seems to make her happy and seems to like us so it's all good.  I also met my brother's girlfriend of 3 years for the first time.  It's obvious they make each other happy.  That makes me happy.

Yesterday we spent the day hanging out around the house.  The kids divided their time among playing Mario Kart, jumping on the trampoline and 'babysitting' their various dolls.  I explored the attic (which is huge!) and found a box of stuff that I left when I moved out.  My favorite doll from childhood was in there, along with a jar of sand I collected from White Sands, New Mexico when I was 12.  There were some godawful clothes in there, too but we won't talk about that.

Today we went to Chuck E. Cheese for fun and games.  The kids procured cheap plastic crap that will most likely be lost before we leave but we had a good time and got some fun photos.  Lance is arriving here any minute for a week or so himself.

Tomorrow we will go to a water park near here for swimming, sliding and sun.  I'm excited.  It sounds similar to the one I take my kids to at home in Colorado, only a titch bigger.  We'll picnic and spend the whole day there.

On Wednesday my Paw Paw and his wife are coming over to visit.  I haven't seen them in at least a year and a half.  Also, some time during this week, some of us siblings are planning an epic game of Monopoly.  'Twill be much fun!

And on Thursday the kids and I will leave just after lunch time and drive to the western side of Oklahoma City.  We're planning to stay at a nice hotel, swim and then on Friday morning we'll tour a museum that looked interesting on the way over.  I'll drop the kiddos off with the ex-husband on Friday evening and head home myself on Saturday.

1 comment:

t. said...

i'm glad you all are having a great time, jess. :)