Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Why I Got a Garbled Voicemail from the Vision Place

Miriam needs glasses.  I feel a bit thrown off because she's never complained that seeing the board is difficult or that she can't see the television or anything.  But she failed the school eye exam last week.  Failed miserably.  And the family history is there.  So here we are.

I was worried that she'd be really upset about needing glasses.  Miriam doesn't do well with change and this is a big one.  And she did balk a little.  For the last few days she's been anxious about this appointment and kept asking things like, "What if I need glasses?" and saying, "But I really don't want glasses."  I can commiserate.  I didn't want glasses when I had to get them.

So we talked about it.  I told her that she will see better, even if she doesn't think she will.  I told her that I know how she looks is important to her and I understand that.  But her vision and her school work are the most important things to think about.  I told her that she can pick out whatever pair she likes best.

In the end, she's fine.  She was even a little disappointed when we left without her glasses because they have to be ordered.  And she's excited to wear them when the finally do come in.

5 comments:

Veronica V Photography said...

Emily was SO excited to get her glasses! In fact, she almost cried when we found out they were in on our way to Disney World. She wanted to wear them *that bad*. The good news is, they don't bother her at all and she actually likes them. I hope Miriam likes hers too!

t. said...

oh, i remember getting my first pair of glasses. i had no idea what i was missing out on seeing. the whole ride home (like an hour cause we had to go all the way to bangor from winter harbor), i was like, "wow! i can see leaves!"

i'm glad miriam is excited to wear them! :)

Ms. Jess said...

Yeah, now that I know her vision is that bad, I've been wondering what all she can't see. I feel bad about it. But at least we're getting her help now. Which reminds me, I need to call the school nurse about Solomon because he said she hasn't checked his eyes yet and now I'm all paranoid. Samuel's screening results were fabulous, so that's a relief.

t. said...

you shouldn't feel bad about it. the test caught it and that's the important thing. i know i didn't even know i was supposed to be seeing certain stuff until after i got the glasses. i'm glad samuel's test went well. hopefully solomon's will, too. :)

Ms. Jess said...

As soon as they give me invites, one of them is yours! :)