Friday, February 19, 2010

The Number, Part 5

So the number is steadily decreasing and my resolve is steadily strengthening.  To date, I have lost 10.7 pounds and I feel great.  That's 10.7 pounds that will never be on my body again!  And the best part about all this is that I'm not on a 'diet.'  I have made sustainable changes to my eating habits.  And yes, my diet is different but it isn't a diet like most people think of a diet.

Which brings me to this: I hate when people talk about dieting.  Your diet is simply what you eat.  There are good diets and there are bad diets.  And the irony of this is that when people talk about dieting, they're talking about bad diets.  Any dietary changes you make that you cannot sustain for the rest of your life will not improve your health and therefore constitutes a bad diet.  You may lose some weight -- or even a lot of weight -- but when you stop 'dieting' you'll gain it all back and likely more with it.

That's not going to happen to me.  I've learned that I don't have to slather oil or butter or cheese on my food to enjoy it.  I've learned that I don't have to make my coffee mostly 1/2 and 1/2 to love it.  I've learned that when I eat properly, there's enough room in my diet to have a reasonable amount of ice cream on a fairly regular basis.  I've learned that herbs and spices add a lot of flavor and increase my enjoyment of my food without adding a lot of calories or any fat. The way I'm preparing my food means that the weight I lose now is going to stay lost.

And I feel pretty dang fantastic about that.

1 comment:

t. said...

yay! congrats on the weight loss! and i am right there with you with regards to the word "diet." somewhere along the line, people co-opted that word and turned it into something not good.