Sunday, August 31, 2008

A New Favorite Book

Girl With A Pearl Earring, by Tracy Chevalier, is the story of young Griet who is hired as a maid in the home of Johannes Vermeer. Forced away from her loving family after tragedy has struck, Griet attempts to adjust to a new lifestyle of unending labor and servitude. She is overwhelmed by the changes but manages to work diligently for her employer. The one benefit to her position is the opportunity to work with Vermeer and, in her own way, influence his works. Faced with an impossible choice, Griet sacrifices her own pride and a work of art is born.

The inner turmoil Griet experiences is palpable. She comes from a society in which class lines are distinct and never crossed. Yet when the time comes for her to cross a line, she feels as if she has no choice. Ironically, her choice is forced by the fact that she is from the lower class. This choice ultimately leads her into a better life, but at what cost?

This was an enjoyable, quick read; almost too quick, as I'm still digesting the story and the slighter nuances involved. The writer's descriptions of every day life, scenes to be painted, paint colors and light are breath-taking. Often during my reading, I felt like I hadn't done the words justice and I went back to read passages again and absorb them. Chevalier is a gifted writer.

I enjoy historical fiction immensely and I especially enjoy stories that are actually plausible. This is one of those stories. It may sound strange, but I feel as if I know the girl in the painting now.

No comments: