Tuesday, April 14, 2009

My Thoughts on Being Bald

I like it more than I thought I would. I stopped wearing scarves, bandanas and hats because they itch and I don't care what people think of my bald head. I didn't do it for them anyway.

My hair grows pretty fast. It's already long enough to get messed up. I'm not kidding. I woke up this morning and there was a spot on the side of my head that was all smooshy looking from lying on it. I fixed it with aloe vera gel.

I've used a lot of aloe vera gel in the last few days. I sunburned my scalp on Saturday. When I did this, it occurred to me that I'd probably get a sunburned head at some point but I kind of forgot about it. Then Jennifer and I went to the Mile High Marketplace and walked around for several hours. I wore a hat initially but then my head started itching and it got hot so I took it off. I should have applied some of the $2 sunblock I bought.

People look at me differently since I shaved my head. People who know me look at me like they suddenly don't know me, and not in an I-don't-recognize-you way. It's more like an I-didn't-know-you-had-the-guts-for-this way. Total strangers look at me like I'm a much more interesting person than I really am.

I truly think that hair is just hair now. I'm thinking about dying it some outrageous color because if I don't like it, I can just shave it all off again. This is fun. Also, I'm fully aware that I would probably feel entirely differently about my baldness if I could not grow my hair back again.

3 comments:

Dave said...

Messed up hair is all relative. In your case there is mini messed up and for those with thick, long hair there is way messed up.
There are few people who look good with and without hair. You do so enjoy!

Brian Gardes said...

Congratulations on going through with such a bold step. You have made a real difference in so many people's lives by doing this.

t. said...

that is great that shaving your head gave you a new sort of freedom regarding hair. i say go ahead and dye it pink! or purple. or whatever.

and i think it is wonderful that you were able to help people in the process. kudos!