Thursday, January 1, 2009

So Bigfoot Lives Upstairs, Right?

Well, now I have Terribly Thoughtless Downstairs Neighbors. It started this summer when they moved in and it's become progressively worse. I used to mildly dislike Terribly Thoughtless Downstairs Neighbors. Now I intensely dislike Terribly Thoughtless Downstairs Neighbors.

See, I like to keep my windows and patio door open in the summer to let the nice, dry, cool Colorado breezes blow through my apartment. But Terribly Thoughtless Downstairs Neighbors like to throw big parties and smoke cigarettes and Other Stuff on their patio. This precludes my opening doors and windows unless I want my apartment to smell like a bar in Texas. (I said 'bar in Texas' because you can smoke in bars in Texas but you can't smoke in bars in Colorado.)

And then there was never being able to park on this side of the building because Terribly Thoughtless Downstairs Neighbors' -- hence forth known as TTDN -- friends were taking up all the spots. TTDN must be very popular because there were always new people over. And the cars taking up all the good spots were different every day.

About two months ago, there was a drug bust for Other Stuff. That was freaky. I heard police outside yelling and banging on the door. Then things were very quiet downstairs for a couple of weeks. There wasn't so much of the Texas bar odor (But by then, who could tell? It was October and my doors and windows were shut.) and I could park in a decent spot. But TTDN's friends all returned eventually. I'm parking at the front of the building now and walking through the breeze way.

Last week TTDN started learning the guitar. You'd think that a novice guitar player would practice on an unplugged guitar first, or at least turn the amp way down. You know, to get the basics down? But TTDN must also be Completely Unembarrassed Downstairs Neighbor also because they don't care if everyone hears the missed chords and out-of-tune strumming that comes from them.

But now. Now TTDN has a dog. A very large, very loud, very persistent dog. I've never seen this dog because TTDN is thoughtless through and through and never walks this dog. But I've heard this dog. Oh, yes. Lots and lots and lots. It's why I bought ear plugs last week. And why I'm considering making up completely bogus, outrageous complaints against TTDN to take to the apartment manager and hoping to get them thrown out of the complex. :crosses fingers, toes, eyes and ears:

I'm just kidding. I'd never make up stuff about people. I don't think. But I would allow my children monkeys to jump and run and wrestle more than is usually allowed when we live in an upstairs apartment. You know, just to even out the terribly thoughtless actions occurring in both mine and TTDN's apartments.

3 comments:

Jules said...

You should let them skate in the house. I once lied downstairs from a women with two young boys. There really wasn't anyplace for them to play outside, so they skated inside. It rattled a light fixture loose from my ceiling. FYI.

Ms. Jess said...

Skates! Late Christmas present coming up!

Seriously, a light fixture? Who knew?

Anonymous said...

Good grief! I feel bad for you sister! The skates are a good idea. *tee-hee*

Charissa