Tuesday, April 8, 2008

My Favorite Things

Homemade popcorn, popped the old-fashioned way, with a little oil in a heavy pan. Real butter drizzled over it and a slight dusting of salt and pepper make it perfect.

The smell of my children's necks, not right after a bath when they are scent-heavy with fruity shampoo, but about 24 hours afterward. Just like when they were infants, their own scent is about the best in the universe.

An overcast sky with a hint of balminess in the air, rain coming in with the wind. I could sit outside for hours like that.

Driving to and from work while listening to audiobooks. It's the only way I have time for anything remotely resembling contact with literature while I'm in school and working.

Fresh, clean sheets on my bed. This is best after a long day of house cleaning and laundry. Going to bed after a day like that is heavenly.

Learning a new job and being good at it. This week, I've learned how to document immunizations on the state registry, mix and administer a variety of injections, run urinalysis, draw up urine cultures, run strep tests and read the results.

Running the car through a good wash, vacuuming the whole thing out, scrubbing melted candy off the seats, wiping smeared fingerprints off the windows and throwing out all the garbage that collects under the booster seats.

Discovering a new, awesome song. Today, it was "My Medicine" by Snoop Dogg. Seriously.

Hillary Clinton has admitted she won't gain enough delegates to win the Democratic presidential nomination. She won't concede the race to Barack Obama (because she thinks a winner will be declared at the DNC), but she's admitted at least that much and it makes me giggle.

No comments: