Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Follow Up

So. I was right. Today was not fun, but not for the reasons I expected. The drive was fine -- at that hideous hour, even I-25 is practically empty. And the weather was fine. It took forever to defrost my windshield and scrape it but there was no ice on the streets.

No, today was completely unfun for a totally different reason. I was responsible for 18 patients in a geriatric facility. These 18 patients are all on at least a dozen medications, many of them are on more. Half of them required blood glucose monitoring and/or insulin injections, both at breakfast and at lunch. I dispensed and accounted for way too many narcotics.

I arrived at 6:15 and didn't leave until 3:45. I had no breaks, no lunch and went to the bathroom once. I stood, walked, climbed stairs, knelt and bent non-stop, for 9 1/2 hours.

I have homework to do tonight for my pharmacology class. I'm not doing it. I've counted mgs, meqs, gtts, units and mls for too long today already. I can't look at another drug or think about another drug until at least tomorrow.

No comments: