Friday, April 25, 2008

Grant Me Strength

Some days, I swear I won't make it to the end of this parenting gig with my sanity in tact. My daughter occasionally acts as if she has taken a leave of absence from her body and allowed 47 varieties of hysterical body snatchers to take up residence there. It's enough to reduce my usual calm self to the gnashing of teeth and the wearing of sackcloth and ashes.

:deep sigh:

Today, it began with the refusal to wear the outfit that was perfectly acceptable only 10 minutes earlier. Once the clothing issue was settled, she decided that when I trimmed her hair last night, I trimmed it too short. A continuous wail of "My-hair-is-too-short-I-want-my-hair-long" ensued on the walk out the door, down the stairs, to the car and half way to school.

When I picked her up this afternoon, she pouted when I asked about her spelling test, even though she did extremely well on it. At home, she wanted to paint but we are, sadly, out of both water colors and the not-so-washable washable paint. This was cause for more pouting and whining, "But I want to paaaaaaaaaaaaaaint." A brief time out fixed her attitude momentarily -- until she decided that she wanted to change into her pajamas for movie night.

Now, changing into her pajamas wasn't the problem. (I was just fine with this because pajamas mean sleepiness and sleepiness leads to actual sleep very quickly with this child.) No, the problem occurred when she shouted at her brother to leave the room so she could change. I prompted her to ask politely and she responded by shoving said brother. Another trip to time out, accompanied by more screeching and wailing -- this time, for Daaaaaaaaaaaad-dyyyyyyyyyyyyy. My response? Sweetheart, Daddy wouldn't be too happy about your behavior right now, either.

:deeper sigh:

The rum on top of the fridge is beginning to look very enticing.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Rum, How much is left? Take one big shot will fix everything.