Friday, January 4, 2008

WOH vs. SAH

I used to be a stay at home mom and I loved it. When I went to work full-time it was only because I had no other choice. Since then, I've thought that if I suddenly didn't have to work any more, it would be the greatest gift in the world.

But I am coming off two entire weeks of holiday break and I can tell you, I am pretty thrilled at the prospect of going back to work on Monday. And I wasn't even at home for some of that. I spent a week with family. This week however, has killed me. Part of that may be because my kids have been gone and I have no classes to keep me busy, but still.

I tried to keep some semblance of routine by not sleeping until noon. When I got up, I actually got myself out of the house and ran errands. I cooked real food for breakfast, lunch and dinner. But I have still been bored out of my mind.

And the insomnia ... working full-time and taking care of my children usually has me yawning and falling asleep on the couch well before 10:00 pm. Not this week. I have tossed and turned for at least an hour every night.

I cannot wait to get back to my beloved routine. And I don't think I'll ever again dream about the not having to work scenario in quite the same way.

No comments: