Friday, January 25, 2008

Shameless Bragging

Solomon is at the top of his class in all subjects, except reading. He has struggled a bit while trying to make the transition from reading in Spanish to reading in English. He gets extra time every week to work with a reading teacher in both languages. I am so proud of him. He is very athletic and is the most imaginative kid I know, too.

Miriam made it on to the A Honor Roll! She reads extremely well in both English and Spanish. She has come a long way this year in relating to people outside our family. A year ago, she was so painfully shy that she refused to speak to most people. I love watching her giggle and talk with a variety of people now. She has an amazing capacity for empathy and compassion.

Samuel's speech was evaluated at the beginning of this school year and it was determined that he had a slight articulation problem. He has been in therapy and has mastered /f/, /v/ and /s/. He had his first session this week since the holiday break and this is the note I got: "Samuel is doing great all on his own now." He also recognizes most numbers up to 10, at least half the letters in the alphabet and counts -- get this -- backwards! He is an affectionate, engergetic child with more friends than I thought a 4-year-old could have.

I feel so fortunate to have such perfectly amazing children. Being their mother is the most challenging, rewarding, frustrating and satisfying thing I could ever do. I am so grateful to be on this journey with them and I cannot wait to see where it takes us all.

No comments: