Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Texans, Take Heed

Our Tamiflu drug rep came to the office today. I eagerly await her visit every week because she brings us the latest stats on flu tracking across the country. I have a weird preoccupation with this. We've been pleasantly surprised not to have much flu activity in our office or across the country up to now. Or at least, we were.

In the Tamiflu rep's words: It Has Hit. She showed me a map of the United States with color-coded sections denoting High, Moderate and Low Flu Activity. High is red, Moderate is orange and Low is yellow.

Immediately, my eyes fell upon Colorado. Colorado is entirely red which means we are swimming in a deep sea of creepy-crawly flu bugs. Blech. I'm so glad we took care of inoculation weeks ago. This is the one time of year I will consent to the use of Lysol wipes in my home.

Next, I checked out Texas. My friends, you have it bad. A teeny sliver of the Gulf Coast is moderate, as is the very northernmost edge of the panhandle. The rest of you ... all I can say is, I hope you had your flu shot. Also, washing your hands needs to take up the better part of your day. It's not pretty.

Stay healthy, all!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How do Arkansas and Oklahoma look on the flu map?

Mom

Ms. Jess said...

AR and OK both have patches of Low to Moderate flu activity. Some of TX High activity reaches into southern OK so it's migrating. Yuck.