Sunday, February 22, 2009

Smoke Detectors

Why do smoke detector batteries always die at night? It never fails. The kids are finally asleep and I'm either relaxing on the couch or asleep (!) and the thing beeps once. At first, I think it's a fluke and try to ignore it. But then it beeps again. Still in denial, I continue to ignore it because I'm comfortable and the last thing I want to do is search out a 9 volt battery, climb on a chair, pry open the cover and switch the batteries out. But then it steps up the beeping to 2 consecutive beeps.

Fine. I'll change the stupid battery. Of course I always consider just taking out the old battery, therefore not having to look for another battery and getting back to my relaxation sooner. But you know, having a devastating house fire tends to change your perspective on these things. What's another 3 minutes spent changing the battery compared with losing the vast majority of your worldly possessions? Or worse?

On another note, I got a couple of chuckles out of my smoke detector tonight. The first is that the reset button says "Push to hush." I think 'hush' is a funny word in this context. Second, when I removed the battery, I saw a large, neon orange sticker inside the compartment that reads "WARNING: the battery has been removed!" No! Are you serious? I don't believe it!

4 comments:

t. said...

lol! i've been having issues with my detectors, too. i have one hanging out of the ceiling by its wires because my arm was not long enough, even standing on two stacked chairs, to twist it back into place.

but at least the horrible beeping stopped.

Anonymous said...

"WARNING - Whoever wrote that for the smoke detector had their brain batteries taken out! Tee-hee.

-Charissa

Anonymous said...

Be thankful you don't have SIX of them scattered througout a two story house, all attached to 11 feet high ceilings! :)

Dad

Ms. Jess said...

Ooh! I am definitely thankful for that!