Monday, February 2, 2009

One Year

Today is February 2, 2009; one year exactly since I left Texas. It doesn't feel like it has been a year. So much of Colorado still feels new to me. I guess that's what happens after spending the entirety of my adult life thus far in one city.

A few times during the last year, various people have asked me if this move was worth it, if I'm sure I made the right decision. In a word, yes. Yes, it has been worth it and yes, I made the right decision. But that doesn't mean I don't miss Texas. We had a good life there and I miss a lot of it.

Unfortunately, life doesn't allow me to pick and choose pieces and compile them into my own personal utopia. In Texas, I had the perfect job for me, the perfect church for me and a lot of very good friends. But my nearest family was an 8 hour drive away. Here, I have settled for a job I like, but not love. I'm making friends. But I have family 15 minutes from me. In either place, I'm missing things important to me.

Mom and Dad always said life isn't fair. Boy, were they right.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

it really is too bad you can't patchwork the best pieces of your life together and have it all.

and i can't believe it's already been a year! it seems like not that long ago that you were trying to decide whether to move.

i hope that things in CO keep on getting better with time.