Wednesday, December 24, 2008

What Christmas Looks Like Here

This is the first year for my children and me to celebrate Christmas our way. In contemplating what traditions I'd like to start, I thought of a lot of things that we could do or that I know other people do. But I finally settled on a couple of things that we really like.

This afternoon we saw The Tale of Despereaux. When we left the theater, we drove around looking at Christmas lights in neighborhoods we've never seen. We got lost. Hey, it was dark and we were in a town I haven't spent much time in.

When we came home, we lit all the Christmas candles we have and sat around the table in our pajamas. We drank hot chocolate and talked about all the great things that have happened this year. We talked about the things we look forward to next year. We talked about last Christmas, which was spent less than a mile from here in a blizzard.

I gave each child the one gift that I knew would make an impact tonight. I know they'll like the rest of their things but these particular gifts were the "really cool" ones. Right now, they are watching The Polar Express and clutching their "really cool" gifts. I have the beginnings of homemade cinnamon rolls on the stove. I will finish wrapping a few family gifts tonight and bake the cinnamon rolls.

In the morning we will unwrap the rest of our gifts and have Eggs Benedict and cinnamon rolls for breakfast. We will be lazy, enjoy our gifts and watch A Christmas Story on television. Then we'll head over to Jennifer and Caleb's for Christmas dinner. It's going to be a great day.

Obviously, not every Christmas will be like this one. But I think we'll definitely go light browsing, watch a Christmas movie or two, talk about the past year and have cinnamon rolls and Eggs Benedict. It sounds good to me!

Merry Christmas, all!

P.S. The kids were not impressed with my Eggs Benedict. I guess we'll have to scratch that one. Bummer.

No comments: