Tuesday, March 4, 2008

At Long Last! A New Sofa!

I finally ordered a new couch. I am so excited. It is going to be delivered tomorrow. I cannot wait! No more sitting on the floor to watch television and fold laundry!

It has taken two weeks of shopping and I mean real, hard-core shopping. I first checked out hundreds of sofas on line to get an idea of what I might want. I sat on dozens of sofas in half a dozen stores. I drove all over Denver looking for an outlet store that I finally discovered doesn't technically exist.

And then all the questions. Leather or fabric? Couch and chair or just a couch? How evil is microfiber, really? Will this particular fabric 'pill' and leave my couch looking like a sheepdog? Should I spring for the sofa sleeper? On one hand, it means an extra bed which can often come in handy. On the other hand, it makes the couch weigh a ton, is generally not fit for actual sleeping and will tack on at least $200 to the cost. How will this couch stand up to the trampling of a wild herd of buffalo? (Because that's what three children and their assorted cousins and friends amount to over 5 to 20 years.) What kind of person actually spends $2000 on a pit sectional for their living room?

I have come to the conclusion that I am the pickiest person on earth, when it comes to my couch. I want durable fabric that is still soft to the touch. I want thick, comfortable cushions that don't look too poofy. I want a tailored look that can still accomodate a few throw pillows. I want a sofa deep enough that I can snuggle all three children on while watching movies. I do not want a printed fabric. I want a solid color that can go with a variety of different colors so if I like blue throw pillows this week but green ones next week, everything will still look okay.

No wonder it took so long to make a decision. But I am pleased with the final choice. More than pleased -- overjoyed really. I am glad I took the time to make sure I am happy with this couch, because I do not want to do this again for oh, say 30 years. And I am so glad that they can deliver in two days, rather than making me wait a week or more. That might kill me.

I am currently searching the store's website for a picture of the sofa I ordered. I am not having any luck. So, since you can't see it here, you'll just have to come visit me to appreciate my new sofa in all its glory.

No comments: