Sunday, March 16, 2008

A Few Thoughts About Our New Home

The wind blows a lot more than I expected. A windy day here is not unlike a normal day in West Texas.

The winter isn't that bad. See my previous post dedicated to just this subject.

The mountains look different every day. Something always changes, whether it's the snow on them, the clouds over them, the haze around them, the haze here. It's always something.

Plowed snow is not pretty a week after it falls. It's nasty, slushy, black muck. It sticks around forever. And Samuel gravitates to it like lint to a sweater.

People are exceedingly nice. I have gotten full-blown smiles from complete strangers in Target, at the bank, in the library, every where.

Service in stores and restaurants -- even fast food -- is amazing.

It's not as hard to find my way around as I thought it would be. I thought I'd be dragging Jennifer every where with me or calling her for directions for months.

I have found two radio stations I love. One is called Martini Radio. They play Jack Johnson, Death Cab for Cutie, Amy Winehouse and lots of other artists you don't typically hear on Top 40 only stations. The other one is a Spanish station, with none of the Norteño that I can't stomach. They play Maná, Juanes, Marco Antonio Solís and everyone else I love. Yay!

No comments: