Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Earth Weirdness

Last night we got home from the Astros' game about 11:00 and the kids went straight to bed.  I did too but I didn't sleep right away.  I have to catch up on Words with Friends you know.  That takes a while.  Plus, I just updated Angry Birds Rio and this requires that I attempt all levels as soon as possible.

So there I was, lying in bed freeing little birdies, killing marmosets and constructing words I didn't know were words until WWF came along.  I was just starting to feel sleepy and about to shut off my phone when my bed moved.  I am not kidding.  It was a very slow, steady movement back and forth, 3 times.  At first I thought one of the kids was climbing onto my bed.  They weren't.

And thenThen.  Then my hyperactive imagination went straight to the Boogey Man.  Don't laugh.  I had this fear as a kid that there was a Boogey Man under my bed that would grab my ankles when I tried to go to the bathroom or something.  For that reason, I always leapt off my bed a good 2 feet or so when I had to pee in the middle of the night.

So what did I do last night?  I leapt off my bed, turned on the light and flipped up the dust ruffle, golf club in hand to smash the Boogey Man in the face.  There was no Boogey Man. Whew, I dodged a bullet there.

I lay back down wondering what in the world would have caused my bed to move like that.  And I had this fleeting thought, "What if it was an earthquake?  Is that even possible?" And then I laughed at myself. That's about as likely as the Boogey Man scenario, I thought.  And then I went to sleep.

But wait! We did actually have an earthquake in Colorado last night. Its epicenter was near Trinidad, which is one of the two towns where the ex-husband and I meet to trade off the kids. Apparently people felt it a good 75 miles north of here, even. So weird.  Maybe I need to re-think the likelihood of this Boogey Man.

And there was another earthquake, a bit bigger, near Washington, D.C. today. What must the incredible odds be of earthquakes as big as these in two places so unused to having earthquakes? In the same 24 hour period? I'm telling you, this is serious weirdness.

No comments: