Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Another Step

I have had a goodnight routine with the kids since they were very young; I think Solomon was maybe 3 when I started this.  That means Miriam was 2 and Samuel was an infant.  They really don't remember anything else for goodnights.  I kiss them on their cheeks and on their foreheads and between each kiss I say, "Good night," "Sleep tight" and "Dream of what tonight?"  And then they tell me what they're planning to dream about.

They love it.  Or at least 2 of them still do.

The last couple of weeks I noticed that when I sent Solomon to get ready for bed he wasn't coming back to tell me good night or let me know that he was ready to be tucked in.  Every night I still went in to tell him good night and frequently he pretended to be asleep when I kissed him.  Two nights ago I asked him if he is too grown up for the old goodnight routine.  He looked embarrassed and admitted that yeah, he does not like it any more.  So I told him that's okay, it's part of growing up to change things like that.  Instead, I tucked him in, hugged him and told him that I love him.  Last night he said that he doesn't really even want to be 'tucked in' any more; he'd rather get a hug in the kitchen or in my room or wherever I happen to be and just go to bed on his own.

Gosh, he's becoming an adolescent, isn't he?

I'm not bothered by this change.  I know it's part of growing up and I'd rather he tell me that he's uncomfortable with it so that I don't keep doing it and bugging him and keeping him a 'baby.'  I wondered to myself at the beginning of the school year if he'd stop some of the sort of attached behaviors that we have.  For example, when he gets out of the car in the morning, he waves to me with his hand formed in the ASL sign for "I love you."  That's another thing the kids and I have done for a very long time.  He hasn't stopped it yet but I think it's coming soon.

I'm not bothered at all, but it is bittersweet.  My boy.  :sigh:

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness! I am not anywhere near having a kid, and I think that I would go to my room and let a few tears dribble out when my future kid(s) tell(s) me that. I honestly don't know how you do it? Maybe I'm just too sensitive, and I don't like change as much as you I guess... LOL :D

-Charissa

Anonymous said...

I can understand your feelings. There are moments in raising your children that will stand out in your mind for all time.
The day that Kyle left home to move to Claremore so he could be closer to Margaret: This was just a few months before they were to be married. I had hugged and told him "goodbye". As I watched hime leave I was crying. It was not because I did not want him to marry Margaret. I just realized that things would be different from then on. He would not be my little boy; From then on he would be Margaret's husband soon.
This is one of those times I will never forget. A bittersweet moment!