Sunday, July 11, 2010

Spermatophobia

Did you know that 'germaphobia' is actually not a word? I couldn't find it in the dictionary.  The real word for the fear of germs is 'spermatophobia'.  That's important because that's what this post is about. Not fear of sperm.  Just so we're clear.


Have you seen this? It's the latest weapon in the arsenal of germaphobic Americans every where.  It's the Lysol No-Touch Hand Soap System. I think it's stupid. The tag line is "Never touch a germy soap pump again." What I don't get is why this is so terrible.  I mean, if you're touching the soap pump to get soap on your hands and then you're going to scrub with that soap and some water, you're not touching the soap pump without cleaning yourself afterward. Right? Why is it such a big deal that the soap pump probably has e. coli and salmonella and H1N1 and other icky stuff on it? You're not sucking on it to get daily sustenance or anything. I hate this pre-occupation with germs.  I also really hate this manufacturing of more useless, plastic crap that will jam our landfills and require the use of more petroleum by-products.  And to a lesser degree it bothers me that someone feels the need to use 6 words to describe washing hands.  I've got 2: soap, water. And no, it's not anti-bacterial soap, either.

And as if that weren't enough, there's this:

It's a paper towel system for your bathroom.  It could be used in the kitchen, too, I guess.  Actually, Kleenex probably wants you to use them every where so they can make more money.  They probably want you to buy cases of these to keep in your car and use them when you're out and about running errands and on road trips and stuff.  Please. Yes, I know the CDC says that for the most effective illness prevention  you should dry your hands with a single-use towel, but come on. This is taking it too far.  You have to strike a balance between healthy cleanliness and rationality.

I am disappointed.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

AMEN, sister!

Anonymous said...

This is exactly what I thought when I saw this commercial for the first time. They are just out to make more money. Not thinking that this is more junk to put in our landfills.

t. said...

i still can't get over spermatophobia not meaning the fear of sperm. this makes me sad.

Veronica V Photography said...

My kids demanded I buy the Lysol auto pumps! I swear to goodness those children have wasted more damn soap than before. I am going to fill it with mustard and see how they like that! :)