Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Adventures with Pee

Excuse the potty talk, please.  If I were my kids I'd take away my computer time.  But I control the computer and I make the rules and I'm not my kids.  So there.  Potty talk shall ensue.  But not terrible potty talk -- giggle-worthy potty talk.  I promise.

So today there was a 6-year-old girl in the office for her yearly well exam.  At the end of the visit I asked her to go to the bathroom and pee in a cup.  She couldn't.  She had stage fright or cup fright or something.  After a couple of trips to the bathroom I told her parents that it's really not a big deal, that we don't have to do it today and if they want to take a cup home with them they can bring it back in whenever it's convenient.

The problem here was two-fold: a) they're actually a little concerned about her urine because it's occasionally cloudy and b) they live 45 minutes away and it's never convenient to just run a cup of pee to our office.  So they decided to leave for lunch, run some errands and then come back to see if she could pee.  Great plan.

A few hours later the dad returned with a cup of pee and a jubilant 6-year-old girl who proclaimed loudly, "I peed in the cup! At Wal-Mart! In the Wal-Mart bathroom!"  I congratulated her and told her dad that I'd call him later with the results.

Later I called their home to relay the urinalysis results and I spoke with the mom.  I told her everything looked good and then she said, "Did they tell you that we lost it in Wal-Mart? She finally had to pee while we were shopping so her Dad took her to the bathroom and then carried the cup around with him.  Well, he set it down somewhere in the store and didn't realize it until we got to the cashier stand.  So we had to go back and look for it. The cashier thought it was the funniest thing ever."

I simultaneously had a good chuckle and an 'ew' moment, wondering where they had left it and who might have seen it before they came back for it.

1 comment:

t. said...

ahahaha! and gross! i cannot imagine happening upon a stranger's pee cup in a store. even at a walmart.