Saturday, December 3, 2011

Satisfaction

Beginning a new job is nerve-wracking.  After the initial search, the call for an interview and all the interviewing. there's finally an offer and an acceptance.  Then the nerves jump in.

First, there is the prospect of learning so much new information.  There are new processes, work flows, co-workers, a new computer system, new bosses, new everything.  It's daunting.

Then there is the whole deal with getting to know new people, as people, not just as co-workers.  Personalities and work ethics are intricate things and each new one presents a new opportunity to learn something one wants to emulate or not emulate.  And one must decide how one's personal philosophies line up with one's co-workers' philosophies. 

On top of all of that is a much bigger issue: proving oneself to the new work world.  "Can I prove to them that hiring me was a good choice?"  "Will they regret hiring me and wish they'd chosen another candidate?"  "Do I even want to prove anything to them?"

Well.  I've now been at my new job for more than three months.  I'm off the 90-day probationary period where I could be let go fired for anything.  (Colorado is an at-will state but I'm part of a union now so I'm protected, to an extent.  I don't expect to need the union for something like that but it's comforting to know it's there.)  I can safely say that I like all of my co-workers.  The doctors with whom I work are fun, funny, down-to-earth people.  The environment of the clinic where I work is positive and professional with an air of "we like being here, we're in this together and we're all doing our best."

Furthermore, I've received several compliments on my work from various staff members and patients.  During a team meeting after just four weeks of being there one of the doctors remarked that it seemed like I was more experienced than just those four weeks.  I have received two personal commendations.  A patient's parent sent an e-mail to the chief of my department telling her how I made her day.  People come to me and genuinely want to know my opinion.  I feel like I'm valued.

And I am satisfied that I have proven myself.  These people want me there and I want to be there.

They like me.  They really, really like me!

(And all this is not to say that I didn't feel these things at my previous job.  I'm just very happy and grateful that I have found job satisfaction again.)

1 comment:

t. said...

yay! i'm so glad you are happy there. and they are lucky to have you. :)