Sunday, September 11, 2011

Ten Years

It's surreal.  I can't seem to grasp that I lived at a time when something so horrible happened, that I saw it with my own eyes.  Even though it was on television the horror was so tangible.

Solomon had the assignment to talk to me about 9/11 for one of his classes.  I told him the grim facts just like I have a few times before.  But then I told him how terrifying it was.  How saddening to think about that much hate causing that many lost lives.  I told him what I saw and how it has affected me.  I told him that I still can't understand why or how.  I think he's old enough now to hear more than just the bare bones story.

I watched a documentary on CBS called 9/11: Ten Years Later.  It was very well done and I think it's because the two brothers who filmed it didn't even know what they were filming.  They started out to tell the story of a young firefighter working his way through the ranks in FDNY and ended up getting a front row seat to the carnage that was and is 9/11.  They told the story with such grace and sensitivity that I got chills several times.

I want to go to Ground Zero some day.  I don't know anyone who was lost there but I feel like it's important to go anyway.  It's part of life as an American now.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you mentioned this terrible event. In our home, I started up conversations about it several times that weekend (Sept 10-11), as I remembered first one thing then another about the awfulness of the day and the uncertainty that we all lived in for several days after the plane attacks. I don't know anyone who died from it either. It made the nation feel united for a time.

Kyle Hall