Sunday, January 9, 2011

Pantry Project

A few weeks ago I discovered that a nearby grocery store was going out of business.  They had all their groceries marked down by 30%-50%.  I made a trip there and spent about $90 stocking up on pantry staples.  A couple of weeks later I went back because I knew there would be bigger mark downs.  I spent $60 or so and got some great deals on canned fruit (not a fan myself, but it makes a quick, cheap, easy snack to pack up for the kids at school), cereal, green chiles, flour, frozen chicken and dried pasta.  It was awesome.  My geekness was in full bloom.



One of my receipts.  This is the $60 one; the $90 one was way longer.


Just some of the bags from one of my trips.


My pantry and other food cupboards after those trips.



Yesterday Paul picked up our beef order.  One-hundred-forty-two pounds of pasture-raised, organic beef.  We sold 20 pounds to Jenn and Caleb so that left 122 pounds to divide between mine and Paul's respective freezers.  We contemplated buying a deep freeze the other day but decided to risk it.  And you know what?  It all fit.  And I still have plenty of room in my freezer for the chicken and frozen vegetables previously purchased.  Paul said he still has lots of room in his freezer as well.  So 142 pounds isn't as much as we thought it would be.

So the Pantry Project is this: not to buy any groceries except dairy, eggs and fresh produce for A Very Long Time.  We'll see how long A Very Long Time is.  Also, I'm going to do my best not to buy produce outside of the Door to Door Organics box.  That may prove to be a little tough because we eat a lot of fresh carrots, broccoli, cucumbers, apples and oranges.  I'll keep you posted on my progress.

No comments: