Monday, December 14, 2009

Girls' Night on the Town

Jenn and I went out with our group of girlfriends on Saturday evening.  We had a fantastic time.  We laughed, talked, ate, drank and basically enjoyed downtown Denver.

We had dinner at Tamayo.  That is a delicious place.  I had sopa de tortilla garnished with avocado, cilantro and tortilla strips with just the perfect hint of spice.  It was fabulous.  Then I had quesadillas surtidas made with queso oaxaca, roasted poblano chiles, tomatillo salsa and garnished with crema fresca.  I thought I had died and gone to heaven or some other equivalent.  And the wine ... oh, the wine.  It was a Spanish Tempranillo that was just divine.  Divine wine.  Some photos for your drooling pleasure:



 Sorry, it was so yummy that I had several bites before I thought to take a picture.



Jennifer had grilled mahi mahi with huitlacoche sauce and potato-poblano puree.  I have to go back sometime and order that fish.  I had a couple of bites and it was amazing.  The sauce had so many different flavors -- slightly spicy, tangy, sweet and peppery all at once.  Oh man, my mouth is watering.

After dinner we walked a few blocks to the theatre district and saw Girls Only.  What an entertaining show!  It was part play, part variety show and part improv with a little home video and some puppets thrown in.  It was all about girl stuff, from childhood diaries to bras to pantyhose to tampons to purses to hormones.  It was in a small theatre and the actresses did a lot of interacting with the audience.  We laughed so much!  (And there was more wine, although not as good as the Tempranillo.)

I think our next Girls' Night will be a game night or something resembling a game night.  Our last game night evolved into a laughing, talking night.  Do you see a theme here?

1 comment:

t. said...

that sounds like so much fun! sometimes i wish i had girlfriends to do stuff like that with. and the food looks amazing!