Sunday, December 6, 2009

My Best Idea Yet

I decided recently to allow the kids to earn extra computer time by doing chores.  For each minute of work, they get a minute of computer time.  Also, they can have computer time taken away in 5 minute increments for certain infractions -- this is more effective than time outs now that they are older.  And I've been rewarding cooperation with 5 extra minutes of computer time here and there. So far it's working out excellently.

Until now, I've had to beg, plead and bargain to get them to do simple things like clean their sink, dust, unload the dishwasher, put away clothes and vacuum.  And forget more distasteful things like cleaning the toilet, folding clothes and helping empty the trash -- those required direct supervision and included lots of whining.

But with this new system, they're practically begging to do housework.  And! -- they actually appreciate the effort it takes to do these things.  The other night, Solomon cleaned their sink and then realized he needed to brush his teeth and spit.  He decided to spit in the kitchen sink (I know, I know.  Baby steps!) rather than undo his work.  I pointed out that he could spit and rinse so he'll be doing that in the future.  But he recognized that it was work.  Miriam has, too.  She vacuumed the dining room on Friday afternoon.  That evening she admonished her brothers to eat carefully and not spill crumbs every where.

I can't believe I didn't do this before.

1 comment:

t. said...

wow! i'm glad you found a way to get them to help out around the house. and to actually appreciate the work that goes into what you do? that is the best!