Thursday, May 8, 2008

My Card

I took the kids shopping for Mom's Mother's Day card. While I was looking for the perfect, not-too-mushy card for Mom, Miriam asked if she could pick out a card. I said she could, after all, card shopping takes a while.

After several minutes, I had about forgotten that Miriam was also shopping when she tapped my arm. She held up a card and asked, "Can we get this for you?" I said yes again and then she asked me to read it. Well, it's not Mother's Day yet but I can't really refuse to read the card that she picked for me. Besides, when I am paying for my own Mother's Day card, all the rules change, right? Ha!

Now, it's cutsey and mushy and glittery and if my own child hadn't picked it out for me, I never would have given it a second look. But the fact that my daughter read several cards in the display and picked this one, made me tear up. Yes, I am a complete and total sap.

So here's what it says:


I may be just a little kid,
but I'm big enough to know
my mommy thinks I'm really sweet
and loves to tell me so.
I may be just a little kid,
but I'm big enough to feel
the love my mommy has for me,
so cozy, warm and real.
I may be just a little kid,
but I'm big enough to see
that of all the mommies in the world,
My mommy's the best for ME!


I told you it was cutesy. But it's the first time any of my children have picked a card specifically for me. It's like the first time Solomon, at age 3, gave me his own glued, scribbled construction paper picture frame with a Polaroid of him in the middle. It took my breath away.

2 comments:

Teresa Hooker said...

And when they get 21 and 25 you will still love the cards they pick!

Unknown said...

That is so awesome! I love it!!!