Saturday, July 21, 2012

Guam Liberation Day

Paul has new neighbors.  The guy came over a couple of weeks ago to introduce himself and they chatted a little.  I think they moved here from Iowa.  Or maybe it was Ohio.  I frequently get the two confused.  Anyway, the guy told Paul that they are originally from Guam.

And then he said that in a couple more weeks they would be celebrating Guam Liberation Day.  He hoped the commotion wouldn't be too much of a problem.

Guam Liberation Day is today.  Today when we got home from motorcycling about, there were -- no joke -- about 2 dozen extra cars parked on the street.  They are barbecuing and dancing and laughing.  They are having a great time.

I Googled "guam independence" (because I couldn't remember that it was called 'Liberation Day'.) and eventually came upon this:  Battle of Guam.  I had no idea.  It's kind of neat the things you can learn from new neighbors.

No comments: