Saturday, January 21, 2012

Two Fitting Quotations

"People are always blaming their circumstances for what they are. I don't believe in circumstances. The people who get on in this world are the people who get up and look for the circumstances they want, and, if they can't find them, make them."  George Bernard Shaw
"Again and again, the impossible problem is solved when we see that the problem is only a tough decision waiting to be made."  Robert H. Schuller

I came across the first quote months and months ago.  I love it.  It explains my philosophy on life thoroughly, yet succinctly.  I just found the second one this morning on a note Miriam brought home from her jump rope coach.  At any other time it probably wouldn't have meant much to me but since I've been struggling with my career plans recently, it hit home.

Time and again the problems in my life have been solved by accepting that sometimes life sucks and sometimes I have no choice but to rearrange my perspective, make the difficult decisions and blaze a new trail.  Getting divorced, moving half way across the country, changing jobs, enrolling in school, losing 25 pounds, parenting -- all of it is challenging.  Curling up into myself and sobbing about it only works for so long.  At some point I have to blow my nose and wipe my eyes, take a deep breath and figure out how to fix it.  There is always a solution.  It might not be the one I want and it might not be easy or fun but there is always a solution.  Always.

No comments: