Sunday, September 5, 2010

Ya Gonna Get Hitched?

No.  No, we are not getting married.

Truthfully no one has asked me that, in those exact words, but lots of people, including my own children, have asked if Paul and I are going to get married.  I suppose that is a natural question when two people of our ages have been consistently and happily seeing each other for more than a year.  But we're still not getting married.  And we're both very content with that.

Here's why we're I'm happy with that (Actually, we're both happy with that, truly. But I don't want to make a habit out of speaking for Paul. He's capable of speaking for himself but he's not writing on this blog. Anyway, we've talked about this and we agree, so there you have it.) :

  1. I had a pretty terrible marriage and Paul's was way worse than mine.  Seriously, it was badbadbadbadbad.  Bad. And those are just the parts he's told me about.  I know that doesn't mean a second would be so horrible for either of us but who wants to test it?  Really.
  2. I rather enjoy caring for my children alone.  And by that I mean, I don't really enjoy it (because really, who enjoys being 99.5% responsible for the care and well-being of 3 human beings alone?), at least not 100% of the time. But I do mean that adding someone else and his child to this equation certainly aren't going to make it any easier to solve.  Paul and Cole are both great guys but this household has all it can handle right now.
  3. I much prefer being able to do my own thing when I want to -- or at least when the child situation allows for it -- rather than having to constantly consider someone else's wishes when deciding what to do with myself. If I want to veg on the couch in my PJs and eat popcorn and watch crap TV all day or play TheSims I don't want to feel like I'm infringing on someone else's desire and/or need to go on a motorcycle ride or run errands or do laundry all day.
  4. My kids have enough crap to deal with when transitioning from Albuquerque to here and back without adding more relationships to our home.  There are already too many people to deal with in Albuquerque.  They don't see it that way because they are 10, 9 and 7 but it takes a toll on them whether they realize it or not.  I'm not willing to add more stress and confusion and anxiety to their lives (and mine) by adding more people to it.
  5. I much prefer simplicity, when possible, to complexity.

    People say things like: 

    But you need someone!!!
    Why? For what?  I have someone who loves me, laughs with me, commiserates with me, does nice things for me.  We drink wine together, we have a great time, we have fabulous conversations.  We don't need to live together or be married to do these things.


    You have to think about yourself! (This is usually in response to Number 4 above.)
    I am thinking about myself.  I don't want to deal with the baggage that 2 step- & half-families bring with them.  These children have enough to deal with and so do I. The people telling me to think about myself are not the people sitting with my children, rubbing their backs and handing them tissues as they cry about missing the babies and the dad and the step-mom in Albuquerque.  Their hearts don't hurt like that.

    You shouldn't be alone!
    I'm not. Believe me. I'm not alone by a long shot. Right now I have 3 people running around me, requiring food and beverage and showers and entertainment and discipline and teaching and encouragement and affection and attention and all the other myriad things human beings require. I'm happy to give it to them. It's easier to give them what they require when I'm not also giving it to others. They deserve that and so do I.

    But, but, but ... what if ... ?
    What if what? What if Paul leaves me? What if he decides he's done with me? What if ... ? You know what? Someone already decided he was done with me. Being married to me didn't change that he wanted other people. And I left him. The marriage certificate didn't keep me there. Being married another time wouldn't change any of that. There are second divorces just like there are second marriages. "Two Divorces" sounds a lot worse than "Another Break-Up."  And it's a lot more expensive, too.  I'd rather not be "Twice-Divorced Chick."

    I'm not closing the door on marriage forever.  I've lived through enough to know better than to say "Never" to almost anything.  However, I am saying "No" to marriage for a long time.  At this time, and for a long time, it's not for me.  And you know what?  I'm extremely grateful to have found a man who agrees with me.  He's a good one -- maybe even a keeper. / tongue-in-cheek

    1 comment:

    t. said...

    that makes so much sense. i think i'd feel that way if i were a single parent, too. :)