Friday, November 14, 2008

A Pomegranate and Giggles

I had a nice moment with my daughter this week. The boys were off somewhere in the house doing boy stuff while Miriam and I sat at the table peeling a pomegranate. It was her first time to try pomegranate seeds and I wasn't sure she'd like them. It's an awful lot of work for a tiny bit of sweetness. But she loved them.

So we sat and talked and peeled and ate. We talked about school, family, our trip to Arkansas in a couple of weeks. We talked about her friends and my work. We talked about the pending arrival of her half-sibling and how she hopes it's a girl because she really wants a sister. I told her how much I love her and how happy I am that she's my daughter. We told each other jokes and giggled ourselves silly.

It's hard to come by these moments. So often the minutiae of life get in the way and I forget that life is made of these moments, not paying the bills or maneuvering traffic or buying groceries. I'm going to make a point of letting these moments happen more frequently.

No comments: